Do you want a healthier option for the Easter Basket? Is cocoa and dark chocolate on the menu this Easter? I want to share with you a delicious recipe that was given to me by a client. I’ve modified it slightly. Let me know if you think these cocoa lentil bars are delish!
Cocoa Lentil Bars
Makes 20 servings Time required – 15 minutes preparation and 25 minutes baking
- 1 cup mashed lentils
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of buckwheat flour
- ½ cup of oat bran
- ¼ cup of ground flax seed
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Quick method to mash lentils
Rinse a 540ml (or a smaller can) of lentils in a strainer under running water. Put the rinsed lentils in a pot and place on the stove at medium to low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and mash the lentils with potato masher. The 540ml can will yield about 1.5 cups of mashed lentils.
- In a food processor blend the eggs, olive oil and mashed lentils. In a separate bowl combine all the other dry ingredients (flour, oat bran, ground flax, oats, cocoa and chocolate chips). Gradually add the dry ingredient to the liquid ingredients in the food processor. Blend thoroughly.
- Remove mixture from food processor and pour on to lightly greased medium sized (13 inch X 18 inch) cookie sheet / baking pan and spread the mixture evenly with knife on sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Get More Fun Facts and the Health Benefits of Cocoa by tuning into my YouTube Channel.