- When our body cells use oxygen, they naturally produce free radicals (by-products) which can cause damage.
- Excess oxidative damage is a contributor to health problems such as heart disease, macular degeneration, diabetes and cancer.
- Include a number of enzymes, vitamins and other substances such as vitamin C, vitamin E, carotenoids (beta carotene, lycopene and lutein) and polyphenols (catechins and flavonoids).
- Act as “free radical scavengers” and hence prevent and repair damage done by free radicals.
- May reduce the risks of certain health problems.
Some examples of foods (there are many more…) with antioxidants
Try to include 2 to 3 servings of the following /day in your meals and snacks