People are always asking me "Dietitian Jane, how can I remove an extra 100 calories/day to lose the last few pounds?" So I decided to post my 10 easy tips to cut at least 100 calories per day. Have fun!
- Food and plate/cup sizes have increased (at home and at the restaurant) over the past 20 years.
- Commercial Muffin were 1.5 oz (210 calories), now 4 oz (500 calories and high sodium).
- Plate sizes have double in width.
Consider bread slice and bagel sizes
- We consume bread on a daily bases. For example 2 slices for breakfasts, 2 slices at lunch, maybe a bagel in the afternoon. Bread slices vary in weight and sizes. Read the Nutrition Facts Table and compare serving size weight calories and sodium content. Consider replacing the extra large bagel with an English muffin and cut > 100 calories.
Alcohol = empty calories
- Consider skipping the glass of wine (>200 calories/250 ml) at lunch or supper and replace it with water.
- It may be a source of good fat, however 1 tbsp = 120 calories. Consider using a spray oil for some of your stove top cooking.
Restaurant and Take Out….Condiments, cheese and bread baskets
- Skip the mayo and full fat cheese on the sandwich, wrap or sub and you will cut up to 200 calories. Replace it with extra veggies and a hot mustard.
- Skip the slab of cream cheese on the bagel and you will save at least 100 calories.
Dressing and dips
- Order dressing on the side and measure it at home. Read the Nutrition Facts Table and compare serving size weight calories, fat and sodium content. It could save you at least 100 calories.
- Switch up the 3 cheese mayo dip for red pepper hummus.
- Skip the frappacino with extra whip for a skim milk latte with extra foam and cut over 200 calories.
- Replace one regular pop a day with water and cut over 150 calories.
Tip # 8
Walk quickly for 20 minutes more each day (don’t increase food!)
- Stick with your healthy meal plan and now add 20 minutes more of fast walking each day.
TV watcher? Skip through the commercials
- There are about 17 minutes of commercials per one hour program. Skip, hula hoop, left weights, cut up veggies, make lunch for tomorrow…
- Eat Healthy 80% of the time and indulge 20% of the time. For a week, record everything you eat and drink. Check to see if the 80/20 tip applies and where you can cut 100 calories/day.